Friday, January 17, 2014

A Seal's Tale

 Being a Chef in San Diego I have come to enjoy some awesome views like this:
 and this...

The weather in SoCal is nearly perfect year round and people come from all over the world to visit. I work in Coronado, right on the bay overlooking the city and which is known to have one of the best beaches in the world. But one day I was surprised by a strange visitor and an unexpected view.

 One afternoon just after the lunch rush, I went out on the deck of the restaurant to admire the view of the city and watch the water, which I enjoy doing daily. There is a small beach that goes underneath the restaurant and when I looked out I saw a large lump in the sand. After closer inspection I was surprised to see it was a harbor seal.

I cautiously approached the seal to see if it was ok and it's skin appeared to be very dry and pale. I wasn't sure if it was alive.  I decided to call Seaworld to ask them for advice. They suggested that we spray water on the seal and it should bring it back to life, so to speak. So, I asked my dishwasher, Carlos, if he could take a hose under the restaurant and help me with this strange endeavor that was definitely not part of his job description. Of course he agreed excitingly.

Not the view I was expecting to see while I took a break. 
I supervised as Carlos gave the seal a bath and to our amazement, the seal perked up immediately. 
It started looking better in no time and it's color came back to the familiar dark grey. Carlos and I really enjoyed this break from reality.  We joked about making it our mascot but we expected that Sea world may be coming soon to take it away to make sure it was healthy. 

After about thirty minutes, it was apparent that Seaworld wasn't coming. Carlos gave his own diagnosis of the seal's health and began dragging the seal to the water. I watched him a bit concerned but since Carlos was obviously the "seal whisperer" I let him do his thing. When the seal was in the water it gave Carlos a look as if to say thank you and then slowly swam away. I was so excited to have come so close to this seal and very relieved that it survived.

Working in the restaurant business as long as I have, I have come to understand that no two days are ever the same. And this day in particular, will remain one of the most unique.



Live to Cook!
Regards, Chef Dave

No comments: