Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What temperature would you like your steak?

          My second ever cooking job was as a grill cook at a steak house. I grill cooked there for five years. After doing the math, this means that I probably cooked at least 58,000 steaks during that time alone. Later, while working at Disney World, I also grill cooked for about five years. Could it be that I've cooked nearly 120,000 steaks during my time in the kitchen?! Wow, this blows my mind. That is a lot of cow.


My Rant about People Ordering Steak!

          I have learned through the years that some folks don't really know how they like their steaks. They also believe that the person who cooks their steak will cook it wrong, so they ask for it to be a temperature higher or lower from where they actually want it to be. It seems to me that when some people order a steak they become like royalty;  as if they are the only ones to have ever ordered a steak in the history of the universe.  Having cooked that many steaks, you would think that I know a thing or two about how to properly cook a steak   I personally think for a great cut of meat, there is only one way God intended for it to be cooked, but that's just me. Please refer to the below chart on what a steak looks like when cooked to order. And please, if you want it medium well, don't order it well done!


Check internal temperature for doneness

Here are my personal favorite steak cuts:

        Ribeye is my favorite because I love the fat distribution. Next I would say porterhouse steak because this is part New York strip and  part tenderloin. I also love flank steak it has so much flavor and wonderful when marinated then grilled. I really like the teres major, also known as bistro steak. It looks a lot like a tenderloin and nearly as tender for much less money. The flat iron is a pretty decent steak, basically a chuck steak. There is another trendy cut call the "Vegas Steak" also from the same region.



        I also love boneless beef short ribs and after braising for a couple of hours it can be about the best thing in the world. RECIPE Alert!!! Get your pan really hot and add a little oil searing both sides of the beef rib. Then, add carrots, onions and celery, some minced garlic, shallots or leeks, and red wine. Then finish with some stock and bouquet garni herbs and just a little tomato paste, salt and pepper and cover.  Cook in the oven for about 2.5 hours at 325 F. You can soften the sauce afterwards with some butter and adjust the seasonings with salt and fresh ground pepper.  When it comes out you want to just open the big red wine right there and dip some crusty bread in the sauce.  Probably one of my favorite things is braised short ribs!




         
        My favorite way to cook a steak is in a flat iron skillet. RECIPE ALERT!! First, make sure you season the steak on both sides with Kosher salt and black pepper.  I start with a drizzle of pure olive oil and let the skillet get very hot on medium high heat. When the skillet is just starting to smoke, place the steak in the iron skillet and let it cook for about a minute on each side for a nice thick cut. Touch the steak with your finger. It should still feel a bit squishy. Always allow your steak to rest for five minutes off of the heat. Now add a little butter to the pan and some shallots and thyme. At this point you can add a little brandy or red wine. I also love to add a dollop of boursin cheese or some heavy cream. Such an easy sauce and so perfect.



How to Choose the perfect wine for your Steak!

           When I pick a wine out for my steak dinner, I think about the cut of meat I am using. Filet mignon has no fat and is so tender and very mild in flavor, I would choose a Merlot, Barbera, Meritage, or Red wine blend, like Bourdeux.  If I am choosing a big fatty ribeye steak to eat, I would choose a big fatty wine to drink, Barolo, Barbaresco, Amarone, or Cabernet. For my delicious beef short ribs?  For sure Chianti, Rioja or Malbec. As a tip, I love that when I am looking for wine I can Google it if I am not familiar with the wine house.
                             
One of my favorite wines from Oakville, California,
Quintessa is the perfect wine for filet mignon. 


However you want your steak, you are the Boss, just make sure that mine looks just like this! 


Live to Cook!
Regards, Chef Dave


Sources:
http://www.heb.com/page/recipes-cooking/cooking-tips/grill-time-temperature-steak
http://reluctantgourmet.com/tips-guides/tips-facts/item/1118-meat-doneness-chart

No comments: